Yesterday we went to the Irish Fest and it was a blast. I have been going every year for the past....wow 20 years! I feel old! I have a lot of old friends that sometimes I see through out the year but if I don't I know where to find them the last weekend in July. It's a big reunion of sorts. I always feel like I'm home again when I'm there.
Some things are the same year after year. Mr. Mulcahy flipping burgers, Mr. Moriarty face all red from running around and directing the show, corned beef sandwiches in the hall for all the volunteers. The Mullan's with their Irish political booth, they always have a petition to sign. And the candy...Crunchie and Flake....mmm. I stocked up last night and I scored some for the Italians in the family too.
Then there are the changes that I am reminded of. No more Mr. Duffy greeting us at the gate telling us to behave. Every time I look at the dance floor I remember Mr. and Mrs. Mulcahy dancing all night looking so serious counting the steps out loud. All of used to imitate them. We thought it was the cutest thing. Then when the night winds down we end up inside the Irish club not wanting to have the night end. Lucky for us we used to dance with the bartender's daughter so we stay until 2 or 3 a.m. just laughing and remembering the good times.
Its funny to look back on the transitions that we have all gone through. I remember the first time I was there I was by my moms side the whole time. Then years later I was a teenager avoiding any parental unit. With all the moms there from Duffy Academy (where Kara and I took Irish Step dancing) I felt like I have about 26 eyes on me all weekend. Then in my 20s I did the whole "let's get waisted drunk cuz we're Irish and that's what we do". Now in my 30s, I go with my husband and my daughter. My friends have welcomed them with open arms and they seem to enjoy the tradition as much as I do.
This year they had rides, which I was completely jealous of. They did not have that when I was younger. Fun for the kids consisted of a small tent with a pool of ducks, bean bag toss in the clown's mouth, and face painting.
Here are Joe and Julia on the scrambler.
Here they are on the octopus. We were worried about her on this but Joe said she had a belly laugh the entire time.
To high up in the air for my taste.
I'll leave you with a video of Julia on the dance floor. It is such a joy to watch her loving life. After every song she bowed and a few people actually clapped!
No comments:
Post a Comment