You can tell a lot about a person by the way they handle these three things:
a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights.
— Maya Angelou

Sunday, March 16, 2008

St. Joseph's Day

When I married my husband 7 years ago we took on a whole new set of traditions. We've had fun over the years meshing the Irish and Italian cultures we brought to the relationship.

One of which is St. Joseph's Day which falls on March 19. My Irish family was intrigued when I told them about this holiday. As big for the Italians as St. Patty's is for us.

It was not long before my Italian mother in law had invited my big Irish family over for the St. Joseph's day festivities.

4 generations of family, all seated at one table, stretching through the kitchen and across the living room. We joke that next year we'll have to knock out a wall. The feast includes traditional soup, salad, chicken, and don't forget the zeppole. Everyone is dressed in red. Don't forget to tug on the ear of someone named Joseph for good luck.

I think the only other day out of the year that I eat so much is Thanksgiving. Which is ironic because some say that St. Joseph's Day is the Italian Thanksgiving.

So with St. Joseph's Day 2008 under wraps we enjoy the memories and we look forward to next year!

No comments: