
So here we are finally at the end of the holiday season! Don't get me wrong we love a good party but 7 family gatherings (including Kwanzaa) in 1 week is tiring for anyone. Yes you read that right the Irish/Italians celebrate Kwanzaa. Suffice to say the Lauritos are welcoming our first weekend at home with no plans. What a way to start the new year.
Here is Julia at the start of the festivities at midnight mass Christmas Eve. We went to the church we got married in because they do the whole shebang when it comes to the music. Choir, trumpets, organ. The music is beautiful and with Julia singing every Christmas carol ever composed this holiday season(at the top of her lungs mind you), I thought she would enjoy it. She was in awe of the decorations and the lights and told me when she walked in that it looked like a beautiful wedding castle. Experiencing the holidays through her eyes has been a gift.
I remember the holidays being so magical when I was younger. The weeks leading up to Christmas were filled with anticipation. Not just because of Santa. People were a littler cheerier. Christmas carols could be heard everywhere you went. Trees and lights around every corner. Walking outside bundled up in your hat and mittens the smell of wood burning from a nearby chimney.
I would wait up as late as I could to hopefully see Santa. I would wake up in the middle of the night, hear some noise and swear the reindeer were on the roof. I wouldn't get out of bed though because mom and dad said if Santa ever spotted me he wouldn't leave my presents. Then there was that feeling. That when you first come downstairs Christmas morning...seeing the tree lit up with all the gifts around it. For a moment it's so peaceful, before all the chaos, before all the paper flying around and the chattering and excited squeals. Somewhere in my adulthood that feeling got lost. The only thing that has come close in the last few years (besides the obvious...Wedding day, birth of the first child) is the feeling you get when you walk into Yankee stadium. You walk around juggling food, tickets and programs. Then you walk through that tunnel and suddenly the whole field opens up. It takes your breath away. Anyway that feeling was lost until this holiday season. So thank you my sweet Julia for bringing the magic back. We love you!-Mom and Dad
No comments:
Post a Comment